Amazon initiates wholesale remodeling in accordance with new FDI rules
Category: #retail  By Paroma Bhattacharya  Date: 2019-02-04
  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

Amazon initiates wholesale remodeling in accordance with new FDI rules

Retail behemoth Amazon is reportedly planning to convert two of its most prominent sellers – namely, Cloudtail and Appario, into wholesale entities capable of undertaking B2B transactions. Credible sources cite that Amazon’s latest move comes on the heels of the requirement to be compliant with the latest ecommerce FDI rules effective from the 1st of February 2019.

Post the conversion, Appario and Cloudtail, 49% stake of both of which is owned by Amazon, will be liable to undertake sales transactions with a battery of preferred third-party vendors that will take care of the final sales to consumers. The remaining 51% stake in Appario and Cloudtail is held by the Patni Group and Catamaran Ventures respectively.

People familiar with the knowledge of the matter claim that category managers at the marketplace currently are in the process of preferred seller identification for each channel. They plan to source products from Appario and Cloudtail, according to the executives of suppliers and brands who work with them.

For the record, Appario and Cloudtail went off Amazon.in, starting February 1, given that group companies are now forbidden from selling via the marketplace under the latest norms. However, both of them have been selling through Amazon’s B2B marketplace in India.

A prominent executive from Amazon is of the opinion that the company has still not given up on the notion of divesting stakes in Cloudtail and Appario in accordance with the revised norms, thereby enabling them to sell directly to consumers. Citing the executive’s statement, the legal teams have been finalizing the correct structure to ensure that the Indian operations are completely compliant with the new policy. However, the stake sale idea is still not on the execution radar, given that the wholesale trading route will be compliant with the FDI and the retail giant will continue to enjoy the value in these entities, the executive elaborated.

Neither Cloudtail nor Appario have so far responded to any queries. Taking a diplomatic approach, Amazon claimed that the company does not intend to comment on any subject on behalf of the sellers.



About Author

Paroma Bhattacharya

Email: [email protected]   

Paroma Bhattacharya

Paroma currently works as a content developer for Algosonline, MSF and a series of alike platforms. Fortified with a post-graduation degree in Journalism and Mass Communication, she delved head long into a writing career, creating resourceful and information enriched ...

Read More

More News By Paroma Bhattacharya

Mirati Therapeutics reveals Phase ½ results of KRAS inhibitor therapy
Mirati Therapeutics reveals Phase ½ results of KRAS inhibitor therapy
By Paroma Bhattacharya

Mirati Therapeutics, an oncology company that engages in the development of targeted therapies, recently released its clinical trial results for MRTX849. Reportedly, MRTX849 is a KRAS G12C inhibitor and the data from P...

Best Buy to offer free next-day delivery feature on various products
Best Buy to offer free next-day delivery feature on various products
By Paroma Bhattacharya

Online retailers are always launching new and attractive deals during the holiday season, as it grosses the highest sale time for the year. Several retailer rollout out attractive offers, such as discounts or complimen...

Nature Tech Corp partners with Aldevron for gene therapy manufacturing
Nature Tech Corp partners with Aldevron for gene therapy manufacturing
By Paroma Bhattacharya

The global cell and gene therapy sector is expected to witness a thriving period of growth over the forthcoming years. In fact, owing to the favorable growth conditions across the industry, numerous biotechnology and p...