South African e-retail space to witness Superbalist and Spree merger
Category: #retail  By Pankaj Singh  Date: 2018-06-21
  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

South African e-retail space to witness Superbalist and Spree merger

Retail behemoths Superbalist and Spree have apparently announced their merger and will be trading as a single entity, effective from July 1. Eminent names in South Africa’s online retail segment, the companies will fuse their operations and brand into one giant online platform for retail products.

For the record, Superbalist is an online fashion retailer selling clothing and lifestyle products primarily targeting the South African youth populace. It is owned by leading ecommerce company Takealot, which will be running the new entity post-merger. Spree is another clothing e-retailer that offers top local as well as international products for women, men and kids and is termed as South Africa’s most fashionable online store. Spree is owned by Media24, a subsidiary of the multinational internet & media company Naspers, headquartered in Cape Town.

Interestingly, both Takealot and Media24 fall under the Naspers group as a large percentage of stake in Takealot is held by Naspers, records confirmed.

Sources at Superbalist and Spree released a joint statement stating that there is no operational integration between the two companies and the businesses run their own sourcing and buying, marketing, technical functions, warehousing and logistical functions. The two brands target a similar consumer base within South Africa with differences in demographic and customer segment. The merger of these companies will create a larger, better focused platform to develop a significant presence in online retail, apparel and footwear segment, the statement further indicated.

Kim Reid, the CEO of Takealot, expressed his appreciation regarding the merger and believes that it creates an opportunity to accelerate the online fashion market within South Africa.

The newly formed company will have its logistics and daily business operations handled by Takealot which will hold a 49% share, while the remaining 51% will be owned by Media24.



About Author

Pankaj Singh

Email: [email protected]   

Pankaj Singh

Pankaj Singh Develops content for Market Size Forecasters, Algosonline, and a couple of other platforms. A Post Graduate in Management by qualification, he worked as an underwriter in the UK insurance domain before deciding to switch his field of profession. With exp...

Read More

More News By Pankaj Singh

Vertex announces reimbursement of ORKAMBI and SYMDEKO in Australia
Vertex announces reimbursement of ORKAMBI and SYMDEKO in Australia
By Pankaj Singh

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. is a global biopharmaceutical company that is relentless in striving for medical excellence while developing transformative therapies for life-threatening and serious diseases, such as cysti...

Centene, RxAdvance and Walgreens unveil new pharmacy management model
Centene, RxAdvance and Walgreens unveil new pharmacy management model
By Pankaj Singh

The cloud adoption trend is increasingly picking up momentum across a plethora of industry disciplines. Among these, the healthcare and pharmaceutical sector is emerging as a prominent cloud subscriber globally. Numero...

Incyte unveils positive results from Phase 2 ruxolitinib cream study
Incyte unveils positive results from Phase 2 ruxolitinib cream study
By Pankaj Singh

Vitiligo is a prominent skin diseases prevalent across the world that causes skin color loss. The disease is increasingly being taken as a serious issue by various pharmaceutical firms across the globe, who are continu...